Thursday, November 5, 2009

Getting to the ice

This multi-leg journey to the ice is proving to be a bit of a challenge. I left the Portland International Airport at 5PM Monday for a three hour flight to LA. Then came the 15 hour flight to Syndey, Australia, quickly followed by a 3 hour flight to Christchurch, New Zealand. Arriving in Christchurch at 2PM on Wednesday, I was pleasently greeted with clear skies and the warm summer weather of the temperate Southern Hemishphere. After meeting with my crew to discuss some penguin project details, I caught some much needed sleep at our charming bed and breakfast.

Thursday we all filed into shuttles to be dropped off at the Clothing Distribution Center. This is where we were all giving two duffel bags filled with down parkas, windproof pants, fur gauntletts, extreme weather boots, and long underwear. It is extremely inportant that everything fit perfectly, so it took some time to try everything on and exchange for different sizes.

It is now Friday. After an early morning of getting suited up, watching a safety breifing, and waiting next to our giant, Air Force C-17 for half an hour, we were told that the jet had mechanical problems and would not be flying to the ice. The next available C-17 will come to Christchurch on Monday. Bummer!

I'm going to attempt to make the most of the next couple of days in Christchurch by taking some hikes and attempting to get a glimpse of some native wildlife.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I can't wait to see pictures of the Ice and your co workers! How fun, I am super jealous. I hope the lay over was fun, even though you are excited to get down there. The blog looks great. Keep it up Annie! Love you;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Annie: I'm Jordan's mother, Gala, and I work with 1st graders in Salem. Our class is deep in the study of penguins and Jordan shared your blog. We are showing the class your recent photos - it is all so wonderful. Would it be possible to have the students ask you a few quesitons? I don't know if email would work, but let us know. Such a great connection! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete